Skip Navigation
We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, provide ads, analyze site traffic, and personalize content. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.

Legal Services

Get legal power when you need it. Don’t take risks with your livelihood. NEA-NM is here to help.

What happens if I receive disciplinary action?

If you’re called to a disciplinary meeting, receive a reprimand, or have other disciplinary action taken against you, NEA-NM and your local affiliate are your first line of defense. 

Your local affiliate leaders are trained as first contacts to offer advice and representation in meetings with your supervisors. Most grievances can be resolved at this level. If more assistance is needed, an NEA-NM UniServ Director can advise your local leaders. 

In the event of a threat to your job such as termination, NEA-NM provides staff to represent you in formal hearings with the school district. In the unlikely event your dispute with the school district requires a legal challenge in state or federal court, NEA-NM may provide legal counsel in accordance with NEA-NM Board Policy.

What happens if I am threatened with criminal or civil legal action?

NEA-NM members have additional protection when threatened with criminal or civil legal action from the Educators Employment Liability (EEL) Insurance Program provided at no premium cost to you with your NEA membership.
If you are under investigation for an alleged crime or are threatened with criminal charges, contact your local president who will contact the local NEA-NM UniServ Director. Do not discuss the specific allegations or investigation with anyone except the UniServ Director and your attorney. Members have the needed coverage when investigations are imminent or underway but no charges have been filed.
The National Education Association (NEA) and NEA-New Mexico (NEA-NM) believe it is the responsibility of your employer to provide you with insurance to protect you from personal financial liability stemming from employment related lawsuits. In New Mexico, this is the coverage required by the Tort Claims Act. Unfortunately, employers often sacrifice employees in order to limit potential damages against them. EEL is secondary coverage to that required by the New Mexico Tort Claims Act.

What happens if I need legal advice on personal matters?

NEA-NM members can access NEA’s Attorney Referral Program. Get more information on the program here.