What is the NEA Attorney Referral Program?
In today’s complex world, simply having legal help for job-related matters isn’t enough. At one time or another, each of us needs legal counsel on personal matters that are important to our families and us.
That’s why NEA created the NEA Attorney Referral Program to provide members with legal advice on personal matters.
This unique program is designed to make sure that every NEA member in participating states has access to affordable legal advice.
Who Can Participate?
NEA’s Attorney Referral Program is open to any active, life, support, or retired member, and the member’s spouse and dependent children.
What does the program provide?
During any membership year (from September 1 to August 31), eligible members are entitled to two free 30-minute consultation sessions with any of these Association-approved attorneys. During the two free sessions, you may discuss any legal matter except income tax preparation.
Members can also access attorneys throughout the state identified by NEA and NEA-NM to assist with certain personal matters at a substantially reduced rate.
How can you take advantage of this program?
The name, address, and telephone number of the NEA-approved law firm participating in the program in your state is listed below:
The Jones Firm
Additions and deletions to the Attorney Referral Program law firms will be posted on this web site during the program year.
You may contact the Firm on the list above for your free consultation and to investigate your need for additional services. Do not expect the attorney to draft or review documents during a consultation.
You may contact the attorney directly and identify yourself as an NEA member participating in the NEA Attorney Referral Program, or contact NEA-New Mexico or your local UniServ office for more information.
What services are covered at discounted rates?
Members may also have specific legal work performed in five core areas at a 30-percent reduction of that attorney’s normal fee:
- Consumer Protection: Assistance for disputes with creditors or finance agencies and proceedings with retailers concerning defective merchandise.
- Domestic Relations: Representation in proceedings for annulment, divorce, separation, alimony, custody, child support, guardianship, adoption, paternity, and name changes.
- Real Estate: Assistance with the purchase or sale of residential property, disputes with landlords, property line controversies, and problems with zoning laws or land use regulations.
- Traffic Violations: Assistance to handle charges of operating under the influence of alcohol, reckless driving or other offenses involving the potential loss of license, a jail sentence, and financial liability in excess of $50.
- Wills and Estates: Assistance to prepare your will, assist with estate planning, provide legal assistance if you are named the executor or administrator of an estate, or offer legal counsel in guardianship proceedings.
Attorneys are NOT required to provide legal work at the discounted rate in the following categories:
- Business dealings
- Preparation of a defense in Internal Revenue Service income tax matter
- The defense of criminal violations other than traffic violations in which liability exceeds $50.
For further information about the Attorney Referral Program contact your local UniServ office or NEA-New Mexico headquarters at 505.982.1916.